Below you will find all upcoming dates for groups and events held at our centres
- This event has passed.
Women Speak Nelson Bay
August 15 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 10:00 am on Tuesday, repeating until September 5, 2023
Women Speak is a program enabling women to support each other who have or are experiencing domestic and family violence.
Did you know that…
- In Australia, 1 in 5 adult women have experienced abuse in an intimate relationship?
- 1 in 4 children witness domestic and family violence?
Domestic and family violence affects people from all cultures, ages, genders, religions and sexual orientations. It is a pattern of behaviour in which a family member (partner, parent, child) tries to seek power or control over the other.
What is domestic and family violence?
Domestic and family violence is not just physical abuse. It includes:
- physical violence
- sexual assault
- verbal abuse (insults, degrading language)
- emotional abuse (threatening the victim/children/pets, intimidation, controlling behavior such as physical and Internet stalking, monitoring victim’s movements)
- psychological abuse (blaming the person being abused for the behaviour, denying that the abusive behaviour occurred, etc)
- financial abuse (preventing victim from working or accessing money)
- social abuse (isolating the victim from family and friends)
- spiritual abuse (making fun of or preventing the victim from practising spiritual/religious beliefs)
Women Speak is a six week program for women who have experienced or are experiencing domestic and family violence.
The program runs most school terms and bookings are essential.
Contact 49 800 800 to enquire or register.