Below you will find all upcoming dates for groups and events held at our centres
- This event has passed.
February 7 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
|Recurring Event (See all)
An event every week that begins at 10:00 am on Tuesday, repeating until March 14, 2023
Women supporting each other who have or are experiencing domestic violence.
Did you know that…
- In Australia, 1 in 5 adult women have experienced abuse in an intimate relationship?
- 1 in 4 children witness domestic violence?
Domestic and family violence affects people from all cultures, ages, genders, religions and sexual orientations. It is a pattern of behaviour in which a family member (partner, parent, child) tries to seek power or control over the other.
What is domestic/family violence?
Domestic/family violence is not just physical abuse. It includes:
- physical violence
- sexual assault
- verbal abuse (insults, degrading language)
- emotional abuse (threatening the victim/children/pets, intimidation, controlling behavior such as physical and Internet stalking, monitoring victim’s movements)
- psychological abuse (blaming the person being abused for the behaviour, denying that the abusive behaviour occurred, etc)
- financial abuse (preventing victim from working or accessing money)
- social abuse (isolating the victim from family and friends)
- spiritual abuse (making fun of or preventing the victim from practising spiritual/religious beliefs)
Women Speak is a six week program for women who have experienced or are experiencing domestic violence.
The program runs most school terms and bookings are essential. Children Speak is offered alongside Women Speak and shuttle available.