Women Speak is a program enabling women to support each other who have or are experiencing domestic violence.
Did you know that…
- In Australia, 1 in 5 adult women have experienced abuse in an intimate relationship?
- 1 in 4 children witness domestic violence?
Domestic and family violence affects people from all cultures, ages, genders, religions and sexual orientations. It is a pattern of behaviour in which a family member (partner, parent, child) tries to seek power or control over the other.
What is domestic / family violence?
Domestic/family violence is not just physical abuse. It includes:
- physical violence
- sexual assault
- verbal abuse (insults, degrading language)
- emotional abuse (threatening the victim/children/pets, intimidation, controlling behavior such as physical and Internet stalking, monitoring victim’s movements)
- psychological abuse (blaming the person being abused for the behaviour, denying that the abusive behaviour occurred, etc)
- financial abuse (preventing victim from working or accessing money)
- social abuse (isolating the victim from family and friends)
- spiritual abuse (making fun of or preventing the victim from practising spiritual/religious beliefs)
Women Speak is a six week program for women who have experienced or are experiencing domestic violence.
The program runs most school terms and bookings are essential. Child minding and shuttle available.