Jobs & Careers
Port Stephens Family and Neighbourhood Services are seeking a Youth Counsellor/Caseworker for our Child, Youth and Family Team. You will be part of a dynamic and committed team/organisation that wants the best for their community.
Applicants will have relevant experience and qualifications in (though not limited to) domestic and family violence and sexual assault, child protection, mental health issues, alcohol and other drug use, parenting and life skills.
The roles involve individual casework, counselling and group programs. The Child, Youth and Family Team works towards reducing the likelihood of children/young people entering or remaining in the child protection system. The Child, Youth and Family Support service model seeks to deliver services that are evidenced based, comprehensive, responsive and delivered in a timely way.
Youth and Family Counsellor/Caseworker 5 days/wk
Youth and Family Counselling/Case Management
- To work with families (ie all or some members of families and young people) in a therapeutic, developmental, and supportive role and informed by strength-based approaches, in their own homes, outreach venues or centre based
- To assess, plan and review work with families/young people
- To assist families/young people to identify and achieve their goals
- To provide counselling and information to clients
- Referrals to other relevant services
- To assist families/young people to gain access to community services and entitlements and to advocate for families/young people where necessary
- To develop an in-depth knowledge of resources for families/young people
- To complete all accountability and administrative tasks associated with working with client families/young people including domestic and family violence accountability structure
- To plan, organise, promote and facilitate groups as required
- To evaluate all group activities
Team meetings/supervision/case review
- To attend and participate in team meetings and case review
- To participate in supervision with the Team Leader or designated supervisor
- To engage in staff appraisals in accordance with Policy and Procedures
- To assist with community liaison and promotion of the service
- To work in active partnership with other relevant organisations
- To attend relevant external meetings as required
- Participate as an active member of PSFaNS team assisting in other appropriate tasks and activities as negotiated
- Comply with any statutory provisions, agency values and agency policies relevant to this position and PSFaNS as a whole
- To comply with current legislation in WHS and EEO
- To advocate for families/children/young people with other services to achieve appropriate service for particular families/young people n and better service provision for families in general
- To participate in staff development programs and attend specific identified training
The following selection criteria must be addressed in your application:
- Tertiary qualifications in Social Work or related fields
- Demonstrated experience providing counselling/casework for families and for young people around complex issues including domestic and family violence and sexual assault, child protection, mental health issues, child protection, alcohol and other drug use, parenting and life skills
- Experience in planning, facilitating and evaluating groups for parents and for young people
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience working in a strengths-based, solution-focused, trauma-informed practiceinformed by principles of social justice, feminism, accountability, transparency and equality
- Current NSW or National Driver’s Licence, current WWCC, Criminal History Check and COVID vaccination (Fully Vaccinated – including Booster if/when eligible) digital certificate.
SCHCADS Award Level 5. Above Award conditions.
Salary Sacrifice available. Car available for some positions.
When applying for positions please address each of the selection criteria, include a copy of your resume and contact details for 2 referees (one of whom should be your last supervisor) and email this information to:
Preparing Your Application
Provide a cover letter
A good covering letter introduces you to us and explains why you are one of the best candidates applying for the job advertised.
This is where you deliver your core message.
Address the selection criteria
Addressing the selection criteria is your opportunity to demonstrate you meet the essential requirements of the position. You should clearly state which position you are applying for and address every criteria as a separate heading.
Under each heading explain how your qualifications, skills and experience enable you to meet the specific requirements of the role. Use examples and emphasise relevant achievements.
Include an up-to-date resumé
Your resumé should be up to date and provide an overview of your work experience, educational qualifications and professional development.
It is also beneficial to include skills and experience gained outside of paid employment that may be relevant to the position. Your resume must include two referees which we may contact, one of whom must be your most recent supervisor.
Working With Us
The team at Port Stephens Family and Neighbourhood Services are a passionate and committed group. We have a collaborative, creative, egalitarian culture. We love to have fun and we believe in getting things done. The service actively supports those great ideas in to action – walk the talk. We want to provide the best service we can to the community we service – Port Stephens. We have a strong learning and development program. Staff have access to individual and group professional supervision as well as group peer supervision. In addition case review occurs monthly. Staff also have the opportunity to “consult with an expert in the field” – who is your most drawn on “expert”? Zoom means you book a session with someone who you would love to consult with about a particular situation no matter where in the world they live.
Building stronger communities doesn’t just happen. It requires the efforts of many – each bringing their own unique talents, insights, strengths, abilities and willingness to make a difference.
Above Award Conditions
We pay above award rates with additional leave entitlements. A car for personal use is available with many positions.
As a not-for-profit organisation, our employees are able to take advantage of salary sacrificing.
We encourage employees to access a broad range of learning and development activities.