Jobs & Careers
Part Time Staying Home Leaving Violence Case Worker 22.5hrs
Port Stephens Family and Neighbourhood Services (www.psfans.org.au) is an amalgamation of Port Stephens Family Support Service and Raymond Terrace Neighbourhood Centre. Our services include: Child, Youth and Family counselling/casework, Homelessness Support Service, HIPPY Program, Neighbourhood Centre, Youth Centre, Emergency Relief Program, Parent’s and Carer’s Programs, Domestic Violence and Legal Support, Aboriginal Culture Groups and Programs, Playtime groups and Outreach Programs.
This position is based at our Phillip Road, Raymond Terrace Offices.
- To work with children and their families separating from DFV in a therapeutic, developmental, and supportive role informed by strength based approaches
- To include children’s voices in risk assessments, safety audits and safety plans
- Support children who are with their parent while making statements to police and during court proceedings
- Assist children, to identify areas of need and provide appropriate support, referral, information and advocacy within an individual casework plan. This requires knowledge of social and community welfare services including knowledge of Apprehended Violence Orders legislation and the new Domestic Violence Framework
- To develop an in depth knowledge of resources for children experiencing DFV
- To complete all accountability and administrative tasks associated with working with children and their families
- To identify and provide referral pathways for paediatricians, speech therapists and other professionals where additional support is needed for children
- To plan, organise, promote and facilitate groups for children who have lived with DVF
- To evaluate all group activities
Team meetings/supervision/case review
- To attend and participate in team meetings and case review
- To participate in external supervision
- To engage in staff appraisals in accordance with Policy and Procedures
- To assist with community liaison and promotion of the service
- To work in active partnership with other relevant organisations eg Children’s schools
- To attend relevant external meetings as required
- Participate as an active member of PSFaNS team assisting in other appropriate tasks and activities as negotiated
- Comply with any statutory provisions, agency values and agency policies relevant to this position and PSFaNS as a whole
- To comply with current legislation in WH&S and EEO
- To advocate for families/children/young people with other services to achieve appropriate service for particular families/children/young people and better service provision for families in general
- To participate in staff development programs and attend specific identified training
The following selection criteria must be addressed in your application
- Tertiary qualifications in Social Work, Psychology, Social Science or related fields
- Knowledge and understanding of domestic and family violence, social policy and issues that face women and impact on their children
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience working in a strengths-based, trauma-informed practice informed by principles of social justice, feminism and accountability, with children and their families separating from DFV with complex issues including child protection, mental health issues, alcohol and other drug use, trauma induced developmental concerns
- Experience in planning, facilitating and evaluating trauma informed groups for children and young people who have lived with DFV
- Current NSW or National Driver’s Licence, WWCC, National Criminal History Check
- PLEASE NOTE: A Working With Children Check is a prerequisite for anyone in child-related work in NSW. Before engaging an individual for child-related work (paid or unpaid), an employer must verify that the worker has a Working With Children Check clearance. Applicants must include in their application their Working with Children check number for their application to be processed. http://www.kids.nsw.gov.au/Working-with-children/New-Working-with-Children-Check
When applying for this position we require that you address each of the selection criteria, include a copy of your resume and contact details for 2 referees (one of whom should be your last supervisor) and email this information to: email@example.com
SCHCADS AWARD (level depends on experience)(above award rate).
Suitable applicants will be contacted for interviews as applications are received. Interviews will be conducted on Thursday 6th June.
Applications closing on 26th May 2019.
Preparing Your Application
Provide a cover letter
A good covering letter introduces you to us and explains why you are one of the best candidates applying for the job advertised.
Whether it’s a formal Word doc attachment or a couple of paragraphs on notepad, this is where you deliver your core message.
Address the selection criteria
Addressing the selection criteria is your opportunity to demonstrate you meet the essential requirements of the position. You should clearly state which position you are applying for and address every criteria as a separate heading.
Under each heading explain how your qualifications, skills and experience enable you to meet the specific requirements of the role. Use examples and emphasise relevant achievements.
Include an up-to-date resumé
Your resumé should be up to date and provide an overview of your work experience, educational qualifications and professional development.
It is also beneficial to include skills and experience gained outside of paid employment that may be relevant to the position. Your resume must include two referees which we may contact, one of whom must be your most recent supervisor.
Working With Us
The team at Port Stephens Family and Neighbourhood Services are a passionate group of social innovators, team players, lifelong learners, hard workers, and change makers. We have a collaborative, creative, egalitarian culture. We love to have fun and get things done. We care about and take care of each other.
Building stronger communities doesn’t just happen. It requires the efforts of many – each bringing their own unique talents, insights, strengths, abilities and willingness to make a difference.
Above Award Conditions
We pay above award rates with additional leave entitlements. A car for personal use is available with many positions.
As a not-for-profit organisation, our employees are able to take advantage of salary sacrificing.
We encourage employees to access a broad range of learning and development activities.