Jobs & Careers
Staying Home Leaving Violence (SHLV) Caseworker
We are currently seeking a case worker to join our SHLV team for 22.5 hours (3 days) per week. The Staying Home Leaving Violence program supports women and children escaping domestic and family violence (DFV) to remain safely in their home of choice. This worker will hold experience and expertise in relation to violence and trauma informed service delivery to women and children who have lived with DFV.
- To work with women and children separating from DFV in a therapeutic, developmental, and supportive role informed by strength based approaches;
- To include children’s voices in risk assessments, safety audits and safety plans;
- Support women and any children while making statements to police and during court proceedings;
- Assist women and children, to identify areas of need and provide appropriate support, referral, information and advocacy within an individual casework plan. This requires knowledge of social and community welfare services including knowledge of Apprehended Violence Orders legislation and the new Domestic Violence Framework;
- To develop an in-depth knowledge of resources for women and children experiencing DFV;
- To complete all accountability and administrative tasks associated with working with children and their families.
- Plan, organise facilitation or facilitate, and evaluate evidenced based domestic and family violence programs for women in consultation with families & local services;
- Plan, organise facilitation or facilitate and evaluate evidenced based children/young people’s domestic and family violence programs for children/young people in consultation with children/young people/ families & local services.
Team meetings/supervision/case review
- To attend and participate in team meetings and case review;
- To participate in external supervision;
- To engage in staff appraisals in accordance with Policy and Procedures.
- To assist with community liaison and promotion of the service;
- To work in active partnership with other relevant organisations;
- To attend relevant external meetings as required.
- Participate as an active member of PSFaNS team assisting in other appropriate tasks and activities as negotiated;
- Comply with any statutory provisions, agency values and agency policies relevant to this position and PSFaNS as a whole;
- To comply with current legislation in WH&S and EEO.
- To advocate for families/children/young people with other services to achieve appropriate service for particular families/children/young people and better service provision for families in general.
- To participate in staff development programs and attend specific identified training.
The following selection criteria must be addressed in your application:
- Tertiary qualifications in Social Work, Psychology, Social Science or related fields;
- Knowledge and understanding of domestic and family violence, social policy and issues that face women and impact on their children;
- Minimum of two years of direct DFV service delivery and experience working in a strengths-based, violence and trauma-informed practice informed by principles of social justice, feminism and accountability, with women and children separating from DFV with complex issues including child protection, mental health issues, alcohol and other drug use, trauma induced developmental concerns;
- Experience in planning, facilitating and evaluating violence and trauma informed groups for women, children and young people who have lived with DFV;
- Current NSW or National Driver’s Licence, WWCC, National Criminal History Check, COVID vaccinations.
Submitting your application
Please send your resume with a cover letter addressing the selection criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only applications containing BOTH Resume and Cover letter will be accepted.
Preparing Your Application
Provide a cover letter
A good covering letter introduces you to us and explains why you are one of the best candidates applying for the job advertised.
This is where you deliver your core message.
Address the selection criteria
Addressing the selection criteria is your opportunity to demonstrate you meet the essential requirements of the position. You should clearly state which position you are applying for and address every criteria as a separate heading.
Under each heading explain how your qualifications, skills and experience enable you to meet the specific requirements of the role. Use examples and emphasise relevant achievements.
Include an up-to-date resumé
Your resumé should be up to date and provide an overview of your work experience, educational qualifications and professional development.
It is also beneficial to include skills and experience gained outside of paid employment that may be relevant to the position. Your resume must include two referees which we may contact, one of whom must be your most recent supervisor.
Working With Us
The team at Port Stephens Family and Neighbourhood Services are a passionate and committed group. We have a collaborative, creative, egalitarian culture. We love to have fun and we believe in getting things done. The service actively supports those great ideas in to action – walk the talk. We want to provide the best service we can to the community we service – Port Stephens. We have a strong learning and development program. Staff have access to individual and group professional supervision as well as group peer supervision. In addition case review occurs monthly. Staff also have the opportunity to “consult with an expert in the field” – who is your most drawn on “expert”? Zoom means you book a session with someone who you would love to consult with about a particular situation no matter where in the world they live.
Building stronger communities doesn’t just happen. It requires the efforts of many – each bringing their own unique talents, insights, strengths, abilities and willingness to make a difference.
Above Award Conditions
We pay above award rates with additional leave entitlements. A car for personal use is available with many positions.
As a not-for-profit organisation, our employees are able to take advantage of salary sacrificing.
We encourage employees to access a broad range of learning and development activities.