Art therapy can provide therapeutic interventions through the use of visual arts, including drawing, painting, art journaling, mixed media and sculpture, for mental health diagnoses, wellbeing, early intervention and developmental disorders.
Arts therapies can help people to resolve conflicts, develop interpersonal skills, manage behaviour, reduce stress, increase self-esteem and achieve insight.
Art therapy utilises visual art-making to improve physical, mental and emotional well-being. It can be done with individuals or groups using art processes such as painting to create meaning.
Arts therapy can be helpful for people who cannot verbalise their feelings due to developmental, cognitive or other conditions.
There are many reasons why a person might benefit from art therapy.
- to express feelings that may be difficult to verbalise
- to explore your imagination and creativity
- to develop healthy coping skills and focus
- to improve self-esteem and confidence
- to increase communication skills
- to share in a safe nurturing environment
- to improve motor skills and physical co-ordination
- to identify blocks to emotional expression and personal growth
- the freedom to be creative, to ‘let go’ and to express emotions non-verbally
- reduced stress and anxiety
- opportunities to engage socially with others through group art therapy workshops
There are multiple groups run weekly both for adults and for young people after school.
Art Therapy is offered only to current PSFaNS clients.
Contact Mardi on 4987 4674 for more information.
When and Where
Where: 3 Phillip St, Raymond Terrace
Booking required: Yes, call 4987 4674 to book